Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Spring in July.......

Typically Spring is the time for new beginnings, new flower blossoms, and baby chicks (and other babies)..... NOT Summer in July.... but at Sanctufairy, anything is possible......

I have been raising chickens for the past 10+ years and have only been blessed with a few (maybe 5 baby chicks) because of predators, or unable roosters. My current flock of chickens consists of 7 hens and little Bantam rooster.

About 3 weeks ago, my favorite hens (the red
Araucana or Americana and the black Cochen) started to "sit" the eggs.




They have done this before to no avail. Since the rooster (Bantam) is "size" challenged up against the full size hens, I have not had the pleasure of any baby chicks for about 5 years.

Sunday, I took a look at the eggs the girls were sitting on and found that one had the indications that a chick was trying to get out..... unfortunately, that poor baby "disappeared" in the night. However, I did notice another one had the same indicators yesterday....



So as the day wore on, there was more and more indication that the chick was ready to hatch.... I brought the egg inside and set it up in its new home complete with hay bedding and a warming light....



Being the "nervous" mother hen that I am.... I watched over the little chick all night/morning..... and as of 3:30am July 15, 2008 a new baby chick was hatched!!!!



Welcome to the world little one..... and on the same day that my friend "Lu" was born as well... hmmmm.... that might have to do with naming this little chick.

Since I was lucky enough to get this one baby, I decided to "candle" (shine light on the egg to see if there is a baby inside) the other eggs... and it looks like we will be having more chicks soon.... some are almost ready to hatch, others have some more time to go........

I have now been up all night hatching this little chick and since he/she is sleeping, I think I will get some sleep as well (still fighting my migraine some).

Wishing you all a terrific Tuesday........

Commodore "Mother Hen" Minxie

PS: There are some more pics from the Labyrinth on Richard Lowe Jr. page (he is the photographer that takes pics at our Renaissance Faire as well.... check them out!)


28 comments:

Lotus said...

Congratulations Momma! How cute.

Funny story: When I worked in Rhinelander I had a local attorney (female) in my office one day for a meeting. Just her and I, and the door was closed. I kept hearing this peeping noise and asked her if her cell phone was going off. She laughed and said, "You can hear that?" She stuck her hand in her shirt and pulled out this newborn chick! I got to hold it for a while, so warm and cute.

Anyway, she raised chickens and this was was due to hatch while she had a long day at work. She thought it would get killed by something while she was gone, so she stuck the egg in her bra to keep it warm. It hatched while she was in court! LMAO!!!

shakenbsis said...

Yeah! Minxie 'Momma Hen'!!

Lotus that is the BEST story, I love it! ;)

OK, got to get OUT the door, I am soo far behind already and it's only Tuesday! Sheesh...

Hope you feel better soon Minxie...

Lotus said...

Minxie, when did your blog get music? I've heard a couple different songs now, but Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" is my favorite!

~Minxie~ said...

Good morning all..... I am up and moving and the chicky is doing well.... off to feed the animals... and check on the other eggs..... then off to get some crap done!!!!

Do you all like my music? LOL.... I am in a mood for sure!!!! *wink*

Happy Tuesday everyone!!!!!

~Minxie~ said...

Lotus~ TFF! That story is the best!!!!!

~Minxie~ said...

I love music of all kinds.... this particular blend is so descriptive of my current mood...... A little racy, a little edgy, and VERY..... well.....you can fill in your own blank there! =0P

Lotus said...

Minxie, LOVE the new pic! Tough & sexy!

-Sir Jack said...

Minxie, my love, great blog about your little chick!! Monsters and coffee for mother hen today eh? *smiles* Your new music is great!! I'm a big Coldplay fan! Careful about the "sexy" music...you might get Lotus all hot & bothered, then she'll start chasing me with a musket again!! Nice new art...did the Captain do that one?

Lotus, that story was TFF!! I wish I could've seen the look on your face when she pulled the chick out of her bra. LMFAO

~Minxie~ said...

Thanks for the compliments about my default pic.... that is actually my avatar on IMVU.... dont go on there much any more.... too much internet suckage for my little wireless..... but its a fun place when you have super high speed internet.

My little chicky is sleeping on my chest all curled up in my shirt. Too damned cute.... he/she thinks I am momma.... no others hatching yet... the real momma hen is getting tired of me grabbing her eggs... she is pecking at me this morning.... If I had an incubator I would take all the eggs out of there.

Ok, back to work for me as well.... too much to do, not enough hours in the day... and WAY too little sleep!!!

Lotus said...

Jack, when she headed for her shirt my eyes bugged out! I thought, WTH. Then when she pulled the chick out, well my jaw hit the floor! Then we both laughed our asses off and she handed me the fuzzy little bugger! One of the best times ever!!!

Jaded said...

Congrats momma minxie! its so cute and so tiny. awwww.
*hugs*

~Minxie~ said...

JADE!!!!! Sexy lady!!!! How are you love? So glad you came by the blog!!!!!!

I miss you!!!

Lotus said...

Hi, Jaded! Nice to meet you. LOVE the name; fact or fiction!?!

Gotta run. Talk later Minxie!

Vickie said...

Congratulations, Mother Minxie!

Cute chick!

(The baby chicken is pretty cute too! HA!)

~Minxie~ said...

Lotus love... that is my dear faire friend Jade... real name too! ;)

Cranky!!!! Love! Where ya been? We've missed you!!!! And you seem so happy today too!!!! Come back and play with us soon!!!!

Robbi said...

Hi All.
Sorry I have not been on..
Plumbing issues....
Horrible! But I think we got it fixed.

Minxie~ That baby Chick is adorable...hope you get more.
And love the music mix...

Lotus~ Great Story...

Welcome Jade!

Christine said...

Minxie ~ what a great "mother hen" story. and the baby chick is so precious in your hand. Good luck with the rest of the brood!

Lotus, that is a great story!! lol

Blaznfire911 said...

YAY! Congratulations Minxie! I love little chicks! They are just so cute. I once helped hatch a few button quails, and raise them up. They are only about the size of my hand, but they could crow like a rooster when they got "excited" LOL

I handed in the county fair stuff today. 7 hours of baking, and baking and baking. I am exhausted! Tomorrow is the judging so wish me luck!!!

Next week is the State Fair so I will have to do this all over again on Wed/Thurs.

vicky

-Sir Jack said...

Hello all, and Hello Jaded!!

Minxie, I woke up & couldn't get back to sleep...just sailing by to say Hi and that it was good to chat with you at the cabin last night!!!!! Any new baby chicks yet???

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new baby chick! Raising babies are so much fun. I have 9 due to hatch today and I have already noticed the pipping (cracking of the shell) taking place.

Good luck with your new little ones!

Robbi said...

Good Morning Minxie!!!
And everyone else...
Hope you all had a good night...

How is the baby chick doing???
Any more that you see ready?

I just got back from my Breakfast with my Cousins and 2 Aunts..
It was really nice. One Aunt bought my breakfast for me.. I thought that was so sweet...

And I was Serenaded by the owner of the Restaurant signing the B-day song in English and Mexican..
It was really neat...They also gave me a slice of cake with a candle...

Hope your day goes well!

~Minxie~ said...

Happy Birthday Robbi! Glad you are having a great day!!!!

HUGS

Blaznfire911 said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROBBI!!!!!!!

Blaznfire911 said...

Am I going crazy or was this page playing Sexual healing a few minutes ago, and now it changed LMAO

Lotus said...

Blazn, I keep coming back to Minxie's blog just PRAYING it will play sexual healing! LOL!

Blaznfire911 said...

Scratch that...it was a french song...it would help if I just scrolled all the way to the bottom of the page to look at what I am actually listenening to LMAO

-Sir Jack said...

Minxie, I left a little "nugget" for you on my blog...have a great day!!

Cybermom said...

Hey Minxie,
sorry I missed the birth of your chickie! How sweet! Have any more hatched since the weekend? Hope you had fun at the ball last Saturday. I looked at the pics through that link,but I never saw you! Do you have pics of your costume, or did I miss it on a previous blog?

Lotus, TFF! I can't imagine how anyone could react when someone pulls a chick out of her bra!

Hope everyone's keeping cool!
Peg